Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why I am an Obama Supporter!

(Originally posted August 13)

A long time ago when Barack Obama was getting started in his campaign I didn't even know who he was. But after I read his book Dreams from My Father I felt like I knew him on a personal level. He and I have been through so much together and I truly feel like we are family. The first time I saw him speak I was moved on an emotional basis. I felt in my heart that he knew exactly what it was like to be me. He knows what it is like to be pushed around because you are different, he knows what it is like to be treated like you are less than a person and he knows better than anyone what it means to be African American.

For years I felt like I couldn't be a part of any political thing because the racists on the right were unbeatable. Our nation has allowed that racist party for more than a hundred years and even some black people were joining THE PARTY OF SLAVERY. On the other hand there were the Democrats. They had done everything they could to help the downcast in our society but it seems that after they gave people of color the right to vote that they hadn't done much. It was like they were saying "We gave you the right to vote - what else do you want?" That's true but it isn't helping us today. If I was lucky I was getting only two meals a day in high school with school breakfast and school lunch but there was no dinner. I felt like the Democrats had back out on us.

95% of minority families are in poverty and when was the last time you heard of a college graduate that represented minorities? Sure some graduate but they don't represent real minorities. They leave the homes they were raised in and barely give money back to the communities. Money they owe!

As I thought about how our future is at stake I saw this brilliant and courageous black man step up. He was just like me. He struggled his whole life and when the Democrats saw how good he was they saw a chance to help black people once again. Our party rallied around Obama like nothing I ever saw. The unity that he inspires can grow throughout the country if we can only keep people like George W. Bush from keeping him out of the white house. They tried to say that women backed Hillary but she didn't even get the votes. The fact is that Bush and CNN and Fox and NPR have been working together to try to split us up.

I stand behind Obama because he gets it. He knows the issues, he knows foreign policy and he is going to even the playing field. Once we get him in office the world will wake up to a brand new unity like it has never had until that day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Democratic Party was formed in 1792, when supporters of Thomas Jefferson began using the name Republicans, or Jeffersonian Republicans, to emphasize its anti-aristocratic policies. It adopted its present name during the Presidency of Andrew Jackson in the 1830s. In the 1840s and '50s, the party was in conflict over extending slavery to the Western territories. Southern Democrats insisted on protecting slavery in all the territories while many Northern Democrats resisted. The party split over the slavery issue in 1860 at its Presidential convention in Charleston, South Carolina.
Northern Democrats nominated Stephen Douglas as their candidate, and Southern Democrats adopted a pro-slavery platform and nominated John C. Breckinridge in an election campaign that would be won by Abraham Lincoln and the newly formed Republican Party. After the Civil War, most white Southerners opposed Radical Reconstruction and the Republican Party's support of black civil and political rights.

The Democratic Party identified itself as the "white man's party" and demonized the Republican Party as being "Negro dominated," even though whites were in control. Determined to re-capture the South, Southern Democrats "redeemed" state after state -- sometimes peacefully, other times by fraud and violence. By 1877, when Reconstruction was officially over, the Democratic Party controlled every Southern state.

The South remained a one-party region until the Civil Rights movement began in the 1960s. Northern Democrats, most of whom had prejudicial attitudes towards blacks, offered no challenge to the discriminatory policies of the Southern Democrats."

Learn a little history before you spew this racist Republicans crap.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/stories_org_democratic.html

Fayed X said...

Another lie from the white establishment.

Anonymous said...

"Another lie from the white establishment"

Whoops! I just commended you for coming up with a different tag line for this blog ("Think About It!") and now you do this, which is, word for word, what you say on the other blog.

I may not bother reading this blog if you can't come up with more stuff that's not the same old stuff.